RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

Questions & Answers

Is a tent required for all events?

A tent is required for most events with more than 80 guests. The house is very popular for smaller parties and dinners. Fire code and room sizes limit the total number of people inside the house to 100, including staff.

May a ceremony be held on site, and is there a fee for that?

We do many ceremonies on site, and there is not a separate charge. The ceremony is included in the number of rental hours.

It is possible to rent the house for a ceremony only?

The house is not typically rented for just a ceremony due to the fact that there is only one event per day. The full rental fee would have to be charged.

May we rehearse prior to the wedding?

Usually a rehearsal is arranged the day prior to your wedding. There is no charge; however, we ask that you be flexible with time if there is another event scheduled for that day.

If we rent a tent, how would we use the house?

The house is often used for cocktails prior to going to the tent for the reception. There is a separate bride's changing room with restroom and groom's changing room with restroom on the second floor and three additional restrooms (women's, men's, and family) on the first floor. The carriage house has two additional restrooms.

Is there a working kitchen in the house?

While we do have a kitchen in the house it is not licensed for catering. The kitchen may be used by the caterer for a staging area during the cocktail hour. No cooking is allowed in the kitchen.

Do you have specific caterers or tent companies that you use?

See our list of caterers and tent companies. We have worked with these vendors for many years, and they provide outstanding service. We have insurance certificates on file for all the caterers on our list. Other caterers and vendors may be approved by the Site Manager upon request.

Are we allowed to provide our own alcohol and may we do a cash bar?

Your caterer is licensed to provide and serve your alcohol. Some caterers allow you to purchase your own alcohol. In the event that they do, it must be transported to and from the property by them and served by them. We do not allow cash bars. The serving of alcohol is limited to five consecutive hours. Serving of alcohol is required to end one half-hour prior to the end of the event.

Is live music allowed?

Yes you may use a live band either in the house or under a tent. The music must end by midnight. All events must observe the City of Newport noise ordinance.

Are there any chairs and tables on site?

Yes, we have 10 54" round tables, 10 6' banquet tables, 12 30" round cocktail tables, and 80 white Chiavari chairs. Our tables and chairs can be used only in the house or on the porch.

Is the house air conditioned? Is it heated?

Yes. Eisenhower House is fully air-conditioned and heated. We are open for events throughout the year.

Are there changing rooms available for the bride and the groom?

Yes, we have a bride's changing room with restroom and a separate groom's changing room with restroom--both located on the second floor. The wedding party may access this 2.5 hours prior to your rental time. The use of the bride's room and the groom's room is limited to the wedding party and immediate family.

How many restrooms are available for the guests?

We have five restrooms available–three on the first floor of the house and two in the carriage house adjacent to the lawn area.

Is there a beach area available for the ceremony?

There is not a beach; however, we have a beautiful lawn overlooking Narragansett Bay for ceremonies. The sunset is amazing.

Can we have a clambake?

Yes, clambakes are popular for weddings as well as for other events

Is there a specific time that we may rent the house?

We only do one event per day, so you may choose the time. The event must end by midnight, and the bar will be closed one half hour prior to the end of the event.

How can we view the property?

The house and grounds may be viewed by appointment, please email Jennifer Chapin or call 401-619-5801 or Bruce Thompson at 401-847-2400.